Good morning, everyone! You know what Saturday means around here -- a new sketch and challenge from the Operators at Stamping 411!
Selene always does such a great job with our weekly sketches and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this one ...
I 've been so anxious to try these beautiful dimensional roses that I saw on Julie William's blog. They are created using the new Extra Large Fancy Flower punch. Julie a fabulous tutorial and although these flowers take a little time and patience, her step-by-step directions will lead you through the whole process. Thanks, Julie, for such a great resource!
So, here's my finished card ...
I decided to do yellow roses, with tints of Regal Rose and Pumpkin Pie. I followed Julie's tutorial exactly and I'm pretty pleased with how these first roses turned out. I'm sure that the more of these you make, the better and easier they will get. I used Apricot Appeal cardstock and Regal Rose ink for the pink-toned rose and Barely Banana cardstock and Pumpkin Pie Ink for the two that are more yellow!
I sponged Apricot Appeal and Regal Rose ink onto the Swirly Bride Paper for the gorgeous resist background. The sentiment is from Well Scripted and the ribbon is 5/8" Regal Rose Grosgrain. I used Tombo Adhesive to make the roses and Pop Up glue Dots to adhere them to the card. I created the leaves using the Large Oval Punch. Here's a quick tutorial for that! Click on any photo to view it larger.
Take a scrap of cardstock (I used Old Olive) and fold it in half, creasing it tight with the Bone Folder. Hold the fold closest to you and position your Large Oval Punch as shown, at an angle. The larger "bite" you take out of the folded cardstock, the wider your leaf will be.
After punching, unfold the leaf and shape slightly with your Bone Folder. You could ink the edges or cut "notches" in the leaf to make it look even more realistic (I didn't do either of these on the ones I made). Slide and tuck the leaves under your flowers and attach with Pop Up Glue Dots.
Okay, here are the dimensions for today's card ...
- Layer One -- Cardbase of Apricot Appeal Cardstock cut at 5.5 x 8.5"
- Layer Two -- Regal Rose Cardstock cut at 4 x 5.25"
- Layer Three -- Swirly Bride Specialty Paper cut at 3.75 x 5". Using a sponge, swirl on Apricot Appeal and Regal Rose Inks and then wipe off the excess with a tissue.
- Layer Four -- Regal Rose Cardstock cut at 2.25 x 3.25"
- Layer Five -- Whisper White Cardstock cut at 2 x 3". I stamped the sentiment in the corner using Black Stazon Ink. The ribbon is stretched across layers four and five. Roses, leaves and bow are applied in the corner, using Pop Up Glue dots to secure everything.
- Inside of Card -- Whisper White cardstock cut at 4 x 5.25". You could do some additional stamping or sponging on the inside to dress it up a bit!
Don't forget to check out the Stamping 411post for this week and check out the beautiful cards that the other Operators have created. And of course, we hope you'll play along with our challenge this weekend. Just be sure to leave your name and the URL location of your creation with the Mister Linky Widget on this week's Stamping 411 Post. We're waiting to see what you create this week. And if you decide to try your hand at these beautiful roses, I definitely want to see what you make!
Have fun and Happy Stamping!