Today, I'm featuring the new stamp set "Four Feathers" from the Holiday Mini Catalog.
I was intrigued by this set the first time I saw it although I didn't know quite how to use it. I decided to take the plunge today and began working with it and ... I LOVE IT!
It coordinates with the Feathers Framelits Dies which makes cutting out these little feather easy-peasy!
I decided to try something new wth the coloring technique. It's a modification of the "spritzing" technique where you spray water on the inked up rubber BEFORE stamping it. I decided to use rubbing alcohol as my spritizing agent so that it would dry faster. I love the water color effect this technique gives to the final images -- it really softens them and helps them look much more organic and earthy!
Here's the Steps:
Step One: I put all four stamps together on one large ac,rylic block and picked out six different colors of Stampin' Write Markers for my feather colors -- Rich Razzleberry, Cajun Craze, Cherry Cobbler, Pumpkin Pie, Hello Honey and Mossy Meadow.
I found that it works best if you only use 2-3 colors per feather. At first I tried to use all the colors on each feather but it got a little crazy!
Apply the color to the rubber using your lightest colors first -- apply lightest to darkest (to help your markers stay clean) Just randomly color the rubber, trying different things as you go to see what you like best.
When you're ready, give the stamps a couple quick spritzes with the rubbing alcohol (or water). You'll see the colors run together a bit.
You can see in the photo how the colors run together a bit and soften the image -- much like watercoloring.
Don't you just love all the colors of fall! And the Framelits dies make quick work of cutting these babies out!
I used the Starburst Framelits Dies and choose the middle sized one (it's just a little over 3" in diameter). I used Baker's Twine for the thread (it takes about 3 yards of twine or string for each medallion).
Step Two: Bring the string to the front, making sure it's "wedged" firmly between two of the points on the Starburst. Passing the string over the front of the Die Cut, count 20 points and wedge the twine firmly in that spot, passing the twine to the back of the Die Cut.
Step Three: From here on out, you're going to wrap the twine around and around the medallion, advancing the string two points each time.
You can experiment with different widths and spaces to achieve the look that you want. This is just what seemed to work best for me. Continue wrapping around the medallion until you get back to the beginning point. Once there, pass the string to the back of the Die Cut and again secure the end with tape. You see the finished spirelli in Step Four.
I attached four feathers in a random pattern and then attached a button, tied off with a bit of Baker's Twine. I used Stampin' Dimensionals to attach everything (including the Spirelli Medallion) to the Card Front (Hello Honey embossed with the Arrows Textured Impressions Embossing Folder and the Big Shot. The Card Base of Rich Razzleberry.
And I added a couple more feathers to the inside of the card just to add a little extra somethin-somethin!
A complete list of supplies and links to order them can be found with the thumbnail photos below.
Don't forget to check out my Holiday Catalog Paper and Accessory Samplers -- click HERE for all the details!